[Samba] samba+cups+page_log

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Dec 3 13:15:14 GMT 2003

> [Samba] samba+cups+page_log
> Mandar Deodhar mandar at netcore.co.in
> Wed Dec 3 10:13:40 GMT 2003
>

> I have set up a samba server which i also want to use as printserver
> using cups.
> I have configured a samsung printer using cups and am also sharing it
> via samba by having the printer share in smb.conf file.
>
> Now the problem is that when i configure this printer on the windows
> machine and then send job to this server machine the page_log file is
> not being updated. Hence i m losing on the printer accounting which is
> my main aim.
> I have googled on this problem and found out the the windows is sending
> a raw printout to this server machine and hence the page_log file is not
> being updated. But i was unable to find any help as to how to prevent
> this.

You should try and check the new "Samba HOWTO Collection" (both chapters
on printing) for help.

> Could somebody please guide me on this matter ??
>
> I am using cups-1.1.19-1
> samba-3.0.0 compiled with cups ( shows libcups.so when i do ldd `which
> smbd`)do have printing=cups in smb.conf Printer Samsung ML-1210 with
 > the driver installed locally on windows machine. Driver provided by
> vendor samsung

The HOWTO Collection advices you to use the "CUPS PostScript Printer
Driver For Windows NT/2K/XP" on the clients, if you require reliable
accounting.

However, there is a newcomer on the scene, which you can use as an
add-on to CUPS, and which seems to be able to do accounting for your
current setup and drivers. It is called "Pycota" and is under GPL:

    http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation

I haven't had the time to check it out, but it looks very promising.
Also, CUPS 1.2 (betas will be out soon) will have better support for
accounting....

Cheers,
Kurt