[Samba] FYI - Symantec Personal Firewall and Samba

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 03:02:08 GMT 2003

I spent an hour each day for the last week trying to get an XP machine to
join a customer's Samba domain.  Every time I tried, I got a message stating
that the Samba domain was unavailable.

Naturally, I wasted a lot of time trouble shooting Samba to see what was
wrong.

Turns out the XP machine had Symantec's personal firewall product loaded.
Once I configured the firewall to allow SMB, I was able to add the machine
to the domain.

Also had to allow NetBios browsing in order to browse the network.

Just letting you guys know so that you don't waste time the way I did.