No subject

Mon Dec 1 12:27:21 GMT 2003

I have done a corporate wide rollout using samba.  We only needed basic
functionality and did not start down the slippery slope of providing a
full windows infrastructure. We used Samba to provide WINS services, and
file/printer shares.  As it was a Unix based environment, we wanted to
use the users NIS passwords to provide authentication (didn't want to
have to set up a new password scheme; hard enough keeping what we had in
sync).  We did not use domains and PDC's.

All depends on the level of service you need to provide.  We kept things
as simple as possible to keep the support costs to a minimum. Once you
start putting in a domain structure, the support and admin costs can
balloon out very quickly if you have a large mobile user base.