No subject

Mon Dec 1 11:34:25 GMT 2003

problem.(since Samba will then look at the standard passwd file)  But I am
looking for alternatives since having unencrypted passwords flying around
the network causes too big of a security hole.  Is there a way I can make an
automated script that will sync the NIS passwd database with the smbpasswd
database for all users?

50% of the users won't use their shell account on this machine, but will
still utilize the file server in place of a windows file server (through
Samba).

I cannot have the users authenticate off of the Windows PDC (different
machine) because unfortunately their windows accounts and NIS accounts have
completely different naming conventions.  example: for user John J. Doe - in
windows convention the files would be owned by DoeJ , in Unix (NIS)
convention they would be owned by JJDOE.

Hope this clears up my first post.
Thanks for any help.
Anthony J. Galella
anthony.galella at intel.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Shekhar [mailto:webmaster at viitindia.org]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 12:06 AM
To: Galella, Anthony
Subject: Re: Samba with NIS

If u make NIS machine a Samba server [either PDC or Independent] then u can
share username passwords of NIS with samba. U said that would like them to
be able to connect via Samba with their NIS passwords,  without having them
use the smbpasswd tool. But I didn't understand connect to what ? let me
know ur prob in details. so that I can give u the solution.
In my network NIS master is Samba PDC. All SAMBA member servers r NIS
clients. And NIS-Samba username-passwords are synced and encrypted. I can
send u my smb.conf if u need.

Shekhar
System Administrator, VIIT
Telefax: +91-2112-43476 to 79 Ext: 216