No subject

Mon Dec 1 11:34:25 GMT 2003

I will get a smbd process started. (If this is incorrect please let me know
;)

But this morning I did a quick ps -ax on my machine and found *two* smbd -D
in the process list. But as far as I know there is no connection to the
samba server right now.

I did connect to and disconnect from the server yesterday but I would think
that that connection would have been released by now.

Can anyone explain to me why I have two processes? Is this normal?

Thanks,

Jc

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:19:30 -0500
Subject: Desperate need for assistance
From: Martin Minogue <admin at minoguetech.com>
To: <samba at samba.org>
Sender: samba-admin at lists.samba.org

Good evening,

My name is Martin Minogue and I have been fighting with Samba for a while
now.  My issue is this.  I have an NT Server running IIS 4.0, its the
Primary Domain Controller, and is running a bunch of Active Server Pages
that I have written.  The Linux box is running Red Hat Linux 6.2 and the
release of Samba that came preinstalled with the OS.

I was running a set of chat rooms on the NT Server until recently.  As the
license code that I purchased was for the Linux version of the chat software
I moved the chat rooms over to the Linux machine.  This created a problem.
The files that are generated for each room (which are simple text files) are
what is used by an ASP document to build a list of the users who are online
and in each active room.

Problem:  Now that I have moved the chat rooms over to the Linux box those
files are now stored on the Linux hard drive and not on the NT Server so I
can no longer build my user list for my customers.  So I read up on Samba
and after a huge struggle, and trying to get it to become a domain member, I
went back to "security=user" and now can connect to the share on the NT
Server as root.  But the active server page documents cannot access the
files, even though the share is mapped as a network drive now.  The issue
seems to be that the internet guest account (IUSR_WWW) doesn't have the
access privileges to even open and read the contents of those files on the
Linux share.

This also creates another problem with me being able to see the room logs
when there are security issues or a matter of harrasement going on in one of
my rooms.  I desperately need to figure out how to make this work correctly
so that the active server pages can get to and read each of the files that
are on the share.

Please help.  I am desperate.

--
Martin L. Minogue