No subject

Mon Dec 1 11:34:25 GMT 2003

When I try to make a copy the folder with the GIF files using Windows, the
countdown says it will take roughly half an hour (I didn't actually go
through with it). If I do the same using cp -r from the Linux box, it takes
roughly 2 seconds. I checked top and vmstat and neither seemed to show
anything unusual - in fact, Samba had pretty negligible CPU usage.

The hard drive array is SCSI, hardware RAID 1 (LVD Ultra-2, MegaRAID Express
300 with 2xSeagate Cheetah XL - 37GB, 6ms, 10k RPM), with a 32MB cache.
Given that the drives have such a large cache, fast access speed, and that
there is no delay from a command line (over ssh), is it safe to assume
there's either a network or Samba problem?

The server is on its own port of a switch and I am currently the only user
on another port. Both network cards are running at 100MB/s. I have set debug
level = 0 in smb.conf, and attached it below for reference. Bizarrely, it
seems to have got slower since earlier! I tried killing all server processes
(MySQL, Apache, PHP, Qmail) but no difference.

Any ideas? I've spent the last few weeks telling people how much faster the
service will be than before, and now I might be ending up with egg on my
face :-)

Cheers
John

[root at pluto lib]# cat smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = Mobiletones
        netbios name = pluto
        server string = Samba %v on (%L)
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        domain admin group = @adm
        debug level = 0
        add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
        logon script = scripts\%U.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 34
        local master = yes
        preferred master =yes
        domain master = yes
        wins support = yes
        name resolve order = hosts bcast
        guest account = user
        auto services = %u
        share modes = No
        dns proxy = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
        browsable = No
        public = no
        writeable = no

[homes]
        comment = "Home Directory for : %u"
        path = /home/%u/samba
        guest ok = no
        read only = No
        public = no
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No
        locking = No

[public]
        comment = This area is accessable by all users
        path = /home/samba/public
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        read only = No