No subject

Mon Dec 1 11:34:25 GMT 2003

printtool

This will bring up the util that will do what you want. Click ADD and select
Remote Unix (lpd) Queue and click OK.
Enter the Queue name and hit TAB - this will automaticall chamge the spool
directory name to match what you just entered as a name.  Enter the printer's IP
for Remote Host and the name of the Remote Queue [typically RAW or lp orsome
such thing - depends on your printer ].  Select an input filter if you wish -
I'm getting along just fine without a filter using postscript printers.  then
click OK.

This will add the printer as local to the linux box but pointing to the remote
printer.  also, printtool will create a spool directory as indicated by the
spool directory path.  at this point you should be able to send test pages
[right from printtool] and then add a samba share for the queue.

As far as automatic scanning for printer - I dont think there is anything that
will do the config for you in that manner [I may be wrong - i just haven't come
accross such a tool...]

Hope this helps...

paul

>>> Mark Penkower 02/22 3:28 PM >>>
 I want to set up a Samba Print Server.  All of the samba documentation
that I have seen (Including a Thick book
on Samba that I have) pertains to setting up samba printer with a
printer already attached to the linux box!  I
have no idea how to do this.  All of my printers are on my local
network, and all have ip addresses.  Is there some
tool that linux can use to scan the network for printers.  Is there a
config file where I can specify printers by their Ip
or Mac addresses?

Mark Penkower