No subject

Mon Dec 1 11:08:19 GMT 2003

This will cause smbpasswd to create a user entry in samba's own password
file and associate the password you assign it.

The above is at least what I had to do in order to successfully create a
mapped drive running Samba on Slackware Linux with an NT box mapping to
the linux box.

Extracted from the smbpasswd man page:

       -a     This  option  specifies that the username following
              should be added to the local smbpasswd  file,  with
              the  new  password  typed (type <Enter> for the old
              password). This option is ignored if  the  username
              following  already exists in the smbpasswd file and
              it is treated like a regular change  password  com-
              mand.  Note  that the user to be added must already
              exist  in  the  system   password   file   (usually
              /etc/passwd)  else the request to add the user will
              fail.

              This option is only  available  when  running  smb-
              passwd as root.