No subject

Mon Dec 1 11:08:19 GMT 2003

dbad
	by samba.anu.edu.au with ESMTP id <S13075824AbQADQ60>;
	Wed, 5 Jan 2000 03:58:26 +1100
From:   "Alex H. Vandenham" <alex at avantel.com>
To:     Multiple recipients of list SAMBA <samba at samba.org>
Subject: Re: Samba and WINS
Date:   Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:52:42 -0500

Thanks, I checked those files and here's what I found;

On Tue, 04 Jan 2000, Giulio Orsero wrote:

>> browsers.  How do I get the name resolving to work without having to create
>> and maintain those LMHOSTS files?

> check with winipcfg that the win pc's really use samba as wins server

both MS hosts show the correct address for the WINS server in winipcfg (note
that the test set-up is not internet connected so I have used some IP addresses
which are outside the "private network" address space)  However only the local
MS pc has actually registered (shows up in the wins.dat file - see below)

> check if /path/samba/lock/wins.dat contains all the name/ip mappings.

wins.dat contains the mappings for the samba server on the local and remote
segments, plus the mapping for the local MS box but NOT the name mapping
for the remote MS box. There is a wins.dat file only on the hosts acting as the
(samba) wins server on the local segment.

So it looks to me as if the remote MS box has not registered with the WINS
server even though winipcfg shows the correct address for the primary
(samba) wins server.

> you need "domain master = yes"

that is set to "yes" on both samba servers

> you need a master browser which syncs with samba on the subnet without
> samba. samba docs and MSkb say this master browser can be a win9x pc.
> the new samba book says you need samba/nt on all the subnets.

> However, see what pc is the master browser using nbtstat or nmblookup.

Both subnets have samba servers and they are the master browsers. The two
browse.dat files do NOT contain the hostname of the remote samba servers but
they do contain the name of both workgroups.

When I remove the lmhosts files from both samba servers, then the local MS box
can see the remote MS box but can not browse it.  At the other end there is no
such problem.

If anyone can suggest what I should check to see why that remote MS box has not
registered with the Samba WINS server, that would be much appreciated.

TIA

Alex Vandenham
Avantel Systems