[Samba] Re: Samba PDC + WinXP = problems fetching remote profiles

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Sat Aug 30 19:40:48 GMT 2003

> More than one week of fighting -- and still no
> result. I'm stuck at the very same point. Right
> now i had to make the system work just any way
> -- at least like file server for window$ clients.
> But the problem with file downloading still
> persists. And i really have no idea of what i do
> wrong.

You still have the problem! So sorry.

I installed an XP yesterday. All I had to do was set
network properties and register the SignOrSeal
patch (WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg). I left the default
IEEE 802.1X EAP setting ("Smartcard or other...") and
didn't disable the Web client service either, just
to see what kind of problems other people have.
Well, I had no problem whatsoever. I can login in
and out in a couple of seconds. I can transfer the
Win2K-SP4 (137 MB) in both directions under 15 sec.

I don't know what your problem is but in your shoes
I would try from scratch, with a very uncomplicated
setup - just the server and a freshly installed client
connected via a crossed cable and build from there.
Chances are that something completely different is
your problem, but you need to find it out slowly
and systematically.

>>> Sounds like symptoms of activated Web Client
>>> service.
>> Maybe the point is about EAP -- i did not quite

> Still no help. I even tried to select each prorocol,
> deselect each of their checkboxes and then deselect
> IEEE 802.1x, as someone reported this may help -- no
> result.

I wonder what other problem in client network
configuration can be masked by switching EAP and
Web client off. I've seen the problem only on an
XP client, a laptop. It wasn't severe. Opening a
share or a shared subdirectory would stall for several
seconds although it takes no time on other clients.
When I disabled Web client and EAP those symptoms
were gone.

With my new XP box I also tried and disabled both
EAP and Web client. No difference. Same login and
transfer speed.

EAP and Web client obviously do not need to be a
problem on an otherwise correctly set up server
and clients communicating through decent wires and
switches.

I'm afraid no one can help you but you yourself.
Go slowly from simple to more complex. Be sure what
works and you'll find out what the problem was.
Perhaps you should first test how fast ftp client
works.