[Samba] Execute windows programs stored on a share - Windows XP

Michael Rocholl michael.rocholl at t-online.de
Sat Aug 30 15:52:34 GMT 2003

Whenever I try to start an EXE stored on a SAMBA share on a Windows XP I
encounter:

'Windows cannot access the specified path, directory or file - You may
not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'

Running pure DOS programs from the share works fine.For all other
actions (copy, delete etc.) I have full control on this share.Also the
securite option of the respective EXE-file show all permissions
enabled.SAMBA logging (even with high log level) gave me no hint (but I
have to admit that I am an SMB newbie).

My environment:
.  SUSE Linux 8.2 Professional Edition
.  SAMBA 2.2.7a-58-i586