[Samba] novell netware server -> samba...

Markus Feldmann feldmann_markus at gmx.de
Fri Aug 29 08:10:47 GMT 2003

Hallo,

I do not know many about Novell but in our company we also have a Novell
Server with Tobbit ... .
The main Different is that under Linux you do not have a so fantastic
Directory Service.
I heard that Tobbbit will come out in a few time.
Samba is very mighty and i think it is a good Server and you can do enough
to integrate it. I hope you have got enough knowledge to install and
configure it :-), but there are many Forums in the Inet and many email-lists
to ask someone for help.
 I would take Suse Linux 8.2 Pro or maybe a still configured Server-Version
http://www.suse.de/de/business/products/server/sles/prices_x86.html
I am not sure whether this Version is still configured. But when it is, it
would better for you. :-)
There is no risk for any Virus on the Linux Server that i know.
The only Problem is on the side of the client, this is most a MS-Client .
But therefor you can get Antivir to check for a Virus in the email server
befor the client get the email.
And i know there is a Programm named winex this is like an emulator. More
than an emulator.
My advice to you is to intigrate a Linux Server step by step in your
company.
A good administration tool is VNC and Webmin.
PDC under Linux is no Problem i think.
Linux is one of the securiest Server Plattform.
There are many Documentaion for Linux, look at
http://www.suse.de/de/business/products/books/3_935922_64_7/index.html
http://www.suse.de/de/business/products/books/3_935922_41_8/index.html
http://www.suse.de/de/business/products/books/3_935922_15_9/index.html
http://www.suse.de/de/business/products/books/3_935922_63_9/index.html
and so on. IF you buy Linux you will get 2 books.
Another good Book is Linux (Michael Kofler).

"doesnt seem to be made for user/group administration."
Yes thats the greatest feature of Novel .

mfg Markus