[Samba] RE:UNSOLVED: Win2K clients and Samba PDC

Tom Kovalcik kovalcik at orion-design.com
Wed Aug 27 19:51:19 GMT 2003

Sorry the thread is broken, I  just joined the list.

I had the same problem. I got it to go away by recreating my machine
accounts and groups. Here are the commands I used:

#This only has to be done once. I used group machines for my accounts.
groupadd -g 300 machines

#For each machine (pclab1 is the name of the machine I am adding)
useradd -g machines -d /dev/null -c pclab1 -s /bin/false pclab1$
passwd -l pclab1$
smbpasswd -a -m pclab1

The first time I tried setting the accounts up by hand editing the files.
That did not work so I went this route which I found in an IBM tutorial. It
worked the first time.

Here is the link that helped the most. You have to register, buts its free.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/views/linux/tutorials.jsp and choose
the Using Samba as PDC link.

Hope this helps

Tom Kovalcik