[Samba] Setting up SWAT

Joseph Phillips jphillips at amphus.com
Wed Aug 27 19:42:29 GMT 2003

I hope this is the right mailing list to post this question.

I have my swat binary located at "/usr/local/samba/sbin/swat", and the
directory access point is "/usr/local/samba/swat".

I went into my "/etc/xinetd.d" directory and created a new script with the
name "swat", with the following contents:

# default: off
#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT,
#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
        disable = yes
        port    = 901
        socket_type     = stream
        wait    = no
        only_from = localhost
        user    = root
        server  = /usr/local/sbin/swat
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}

Then, I issued the following command: chkconfig swat on

However, when I load up the "http://localhost:901/" page, I don't get
anything at all.

Do I need to have apache web server installed, in order to use swat?

Does anyone know why I can't get swat to come up on my system?

Thanks.