[Samba] Controlling access by userid

Rob Tanner rtanner+samba at linfield.edu
Wed Aug 27 17:54:25 GMT 2003

Hi,

I am using samba as a print server in conjunction with lprng/ifhp to do
charge back.  The server is a member of the domain (not the controller),
and therefore shares all it's printers with all logged on users.  Since it
does not have real user accounts the real user is always 'nobody' and the
domain user is identified with the %U variable (lpr -U %U) whenever he or
she prints.

We have one domain user, 'pclab' that's a generic user that should not
have print privileges.  The question is, since authentication is domain
based and no real accounts exist on the host computer, how can I prevent
print shares being advertised to that one domain username?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager