[Samba] unable to share any files

Oscar Garcia noskarg at telefonica.net
Tue Aug 26 17:18:21 GMT 2003

I have spent the whole day trying to make my network work, but I have
not been able to do it.

The situation is:
	- a dell inspiron 8000 box with windows XP
	- a Packard Bell chroma box with red hat 9.0 acting as a samba server

I have installed the RPM for the 3.0 version that I have found on
samba.org

I have tried to follow the directions given in the O'reilly book
available at the documentation section at the same site.

The problem is that I cannot access from windows the share I have
created in the server.  Although, I can "see" the server from windows
"Other computers in my workgroup", I can not connect to it.  I am able
to communicate bidirectionally though (ping) without any problem.

My current configuration file smb.cnof:

        # Samba config file created using SWAT
        # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
        # Date: 2003/08/26 18:06:21

        # Global parameters
        [global]
        	workgroup = CASA
        	netbios name = PENTIUM700
        	server string = Samba
        	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        	log level = 2
        	wins support = Yes

        [test]
        	comment = For testing only, please
        	path = /home/noskarg/test
        	valid users = noskarg
        	read only = No
        	guest ok = Yes
        	hosts allow = 172.26.0.
        	nt acl support = No

The output of the command "smbclient -U% -L localhost":

        added interface ip=172.26.0.3 bcast=172.26.0.15
        nmask=255.255.255.240
        Domain=[CASA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.0beta3]

        	Sharename      Type      Comment
        	---------      ----      -------
        	test           Disk      For testing only, please
        	IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba)
        	ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (Samba)

        	Server               Comment
        	PENTIUM700           Samba

        	Workgroup            Master
        	CASA                 PENTIUM700

I am a little desperate, any help would be a great favour.

Thanks,
Oscar