[Samba] files between w2k domains...

Jose Santiago Oyervides Gonzalez jose.oyervides at elnorte.com
Tue Aug 26 00:40:29 GMT 2003

Hi,
I have a Mandrake 8.2 server with samba 2.2.5 installed.
My server has ftp and the files some users upload I move them to another
structure, this structure is shared via Samba with other users. I am in a
W2k Domain.(We are in the process to migrate to linux).

So, I have some users that move the files uploaded to their servers.

A few days ago, a user reported me he couldn´t see the files in his share,
(he knew he had some files) and their files were in his share,I could see
them via share in some machines in my domain. (Note that my user and I are
in different W2K Domains) but my client couldn't see them in any machine in
his domain.

I notice that if I accessed the share via IP \\x.x.x.x\myshare I could see
them, but if I accessed via name \\myserver\myshare I couldn't see them, in
some machines. (In other machines I could see them via share and IP address)

I asked my user to create folders and copy some files in the share, and I
couldn't see the folders he created neither the files!, that was very weird.

I did several restart to smb and winbind and the problem continued. After
that, I just stopped smb and winbind for several minutes, then start the
services and he finally could see his files, and move them to their machine.
The folders he created and the files were gone.

This is the relevant part of my smb.conf

workgroup = <My_W2k_Domain>
password server = <DC1><DC2>
encrypt passwords = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
wins server = X.X.X.X
dns proxy = no

#The share :
[Share_name]
  comment = MyShare
  path = /home/to/my/folder
  write list = @"OtherDomain\Some_Group" @"OtherDomain\Other_group"
"OtherDomain\SomeUser" @"MyDomain\Domain Admins"
  writable = no
  browseable = yes

In my log.machine:

[2003/08/19 11:54:57, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(349)
  Couldn't find account Otherdomain\someuser
[2003/08/19 11:54:57, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(349)
  Couldn't find account Otherdomain\someuser

I had had this problem before, (once in a while) but normally it was fixed
with just a restart to samba and winbind. This time really had me think.

I've looked in the list, and I couldn't find a similar case like mine, does
anyone know what happened?

Is there some kind of cache between domains and samba? or may be this is a
bug of my samba version...

Any idea would be great.
Regards.
Jose Oyervides.