[Samba] winbind - idmap - ldap ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Sun Aug 24 21:31:16 GMT 2003

Greetings ...

    I am tring to setup a domain controlled by a Win2K3 ADS servers.
 Using my Linux boxs as domain members and other network services to
provide file and print sharing.  I have download and compile 3rc1 and
seem to have hit a brick wall.

    I can get the idmap in winbind to work, but not as expect, so I am
looking for more docs so that I might be able to help myself.  So I have
a few questions.

    When does winbind alocated uidNumbers?  I seem to only be able to
get a uidNumber if I quesry winbind by doing wbinfo -S <SID number
here>, which returns a uidNumber, but before that, if I query a file for
ower, I just get a uidNumber ... once I ran the command, it will then
show the username.

    Do I have to populate the ldap DB to use idmap backend ldap?  If so,
how do I, if not, does winbind write into the LDAP DB?  Again, when?

    If there is more info reguarding winbind, idmap all using ldap,
could somebody point me at it.

Thanks
Mailed
Lee