[Samba] Re: Samba PDC + WinXP = problems fetching remote profiles

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Fri Aug 22 13:34:34 GMT 2003

> But when i tried to log in with that very account
> from another machine, i got Win hanging up for about
> two minutes and blaming approximately the following
> way: "Windows can't log you on with local profile,
> using temporary profile. Changes done to this
> profile will be lost after you log off" (phrase
> `local profile` seemed strange to me, but Win really
> does what it should do, except not down/up loading
> the profiles). After the message disappears or i hit
> OK, Win loggs in normally, downloads logon.bat and
> seems to behave fine, but the profile is really
> removed after log off.

Many problems result in this message. One is you need
a [profiles] share with a subdir named after each
user. That user needs to have full access to it,
for example 0700, belongs to user:users. You also need
a [netlogon] share even if you don't use it. Try
this scheme:

   [global]
      logon path = \\samba-srv\profiles\%U
   [netlogon]
      path = /some-existing-path/netlogon
      write list = ntadmin
      browseable = No

   [profiles]
      path = /some-existing-path/profiles
      valid users = %U
      read only = No
      browseable = No
      inherit permissions = No

Sometimes an already existing profile is the problem.
Try removing it (save it first for reference) and
logging in afresh.