[Samba] samba-3.0rc1 Can access PDC but not others

Micha D. Niskin mniskin at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 05:48:31 GMT 2003

Thanks for your response! I am a little confused, now, though ;).

On Thursday 21 August 2003 06:22, you wrote:
> sounds like the samba box hasn't joined or isn't referring password
> requests to the pdc.

I made sure that the samba machine was joined to the domain, and 'net rpc
testjoin' says A-OK...

[root at rustbucket root]# net rpc testjoin
Join to 'TNG-PDC-TEST1' is OK

Also, I can see the samba machine in the browse lists from the windows
machines, and I can mount samba shares from the windows machines. However, I
was only trying to use smbclient to access shares which are on the windows
fileserver. I wouldn't think that the samba machine would be referring
password requests when it's just a client and not acting as a server-- the
fileserver it was connecting to should do that (?)

> have you tried increasing the debug level and
> viewing the logs?

I only have access to detailed logs on the samba machine, meaning that I only
have the smbclient logs. I don't know of a way to get detailed logs on the
windows fileserver. Is there such a thing as "increasing the debug level" on
a windows server? The client logs don't show anything interesting, just
authentication failed.

> Also I can't see a...
> password server = *
> line in your smb.conf. I assume this is still required in samba 3 ?

I put an appropriate line in the smb.conf file but to no avail.

--

Regards,
Micha D. Niskin <mniskin at yahoo.com>