[Samba] Samba Sharing Permission Denied

Timoci Tora jim at sopac.org
Fri Aug 22 02:33:20 GMT 2003

Bula Samba
I'm having difficulty in sharing files of my Mandrake 9.1 webserver thru
Samba. I am able to see the files thru a W2K client, however upon browsing
the error message reads:
"the network name cannot be found". A check in the /var/log/syslog reports:
"smbd/service.c:make_connection(599) jim-2k (10.0.0.126) Can't change
directory to /home/httpd/html/files (Permission denied)

If someone has encountered this problem before I'd appreciate your
assistance. Oh the smb.conf file reads:

[files]
path = /home/httpd/html/files
writable = yes
browseable = yes
comment = SOPAC Files
create mask = 2664
write list = @fileauthors

thanks

jim
------------
Timoci (Jim) Tora
Information and Communications Technologies Officer
SOPAC  South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission

Postal Address: Private Mail Bag, GPO, Suva, Fiji Islands
Street Address: Mead Road, Nabua, Fiji Islands
Tel: +679 338 1377    Fax: +679 337 0040
E-mail: jim at sopac.org   Web site: <http://www.sopac.org>

Note that the gateway to our mail server limits the size of
inward and outward messages with attachments to 1.5MB.
If you need to send or receive larger messages apply compression, convert to
PDF files or logically split.

This e-mail is intended for its named recipients only.
The author is no longer responsible if you forward this e-mail
to other parties.  The views expressed in this e-mail may not necessarily be
the views of SOPAC.