[Samba] Secure Transfers

Gregory Haggquist gwh at traptek.com
Thu Aug 21 20:35:58 GMT 2003

I am using RedHat 9.0 on a Dell Pentium III 500 box. I have been able to set
up SAMBA to work on an internal network, and when I open up the ports on my
firewall I am able to connect from the internet using SAMBA. Presently,
SAMBA wants to use ports 137-139 and does not encrypt the files being
transferred. I have users who have an internet connect via cable, this
connection blocks any ports above 80 for security reasons. I am also using
OpenSSH to transfer files to these users. However, this connection requires
the users to transfer the files, edit them and transfer the files back. With
the SAMBA connection users can open the file directly from the remote
location, edit the file the save it.

I would like to know how to secure the SAMBA connection and change the ports
from 137-139 to ports which are lower than 80. I have never set up a
tunneling solution, thus if your solution involves tunneling please explain
how to tunnel.

Thanks in advance,

Gregory Haggquist