[Samba] smb.conf variables not substituting

Hillel Seltzer hseltzer at larich.com
Thu Aug 21 18:09:06 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am running Samba 3.0.0rc1 on Red Hat 8 with a 2.4.21 kernel
patched for ACL support.  I am trying to set up Samba to work
as a member of a Win2k domain with AD.  It seems to be
authenticating users off of AD for connecting to the server, but
I am having some trouble setting up the home share.

It seems that the single character variables used in smb.conf
(%U, %D, etc.) are not substituting their values.  For example, the
line "template homedir = /usr/export/user/%u" in the [global] section
caused the creation of a directory called "%u" under "/usr/export/user"
when it should have been substituted with the user name.
If I try "%U" instead in smb.conf, it seems to have no value.
For example, in the [homes] share section,
"path = /usr/export/user/%U" is mapping to "/usr/export/user/".

Any ideas on what would cause this?

Thanks.
---Hillel