[Samba] security implications of joining machine to domain

Marcus Blomenkamp Marcus.Blomenkamp at epost.de
Thu Aug 21 16:54:28 GMT 2003

Hi folks.

Can anybody give some facts about $SUBJECT? I have Samba3 running as PDC. I
joined my machines (windows and unix) to the domain using the configured
administrative account. Is the machine accounts created in this step given
kind of privilege 'boost' over common user accounts?

Supposed the client machine did not cache the entered administrative
credentials, is the machine itself theoretically capable of modifying all
accounts data (such as password hashes) then? Or is an infected machine only
dangerous for logged into itself?

Appreciating any input, Marcus