[Samba] samba-3.0rc1 Can access PDC but not others

Micha Niskin mniskin at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 15:52:09 GMT 2003

Hello,

    I am trying to migrate an NT domain from an NT PDC to a samba3.0 PDC
without disrupting users or requiring them to change passwords, etc. The
complication is that there are NT fileservers in the domain already, so
it's important that the users be transferred to the samba machine with
SID's and RID's intact (so they can access these shares with the same
permissions). Anyway, as a first step I compiled samba3.0rc1 and have it
configured as a simple domain member in a test domain. I set up a NT4
PDC and an some NT domain fileservers (actually a Win2k and an XP
machine) with some shares in the test domain. The NT machines are all
functioning properly in the domain (i.e., access to shares and logon to
domain all run smoothly). I then joined the samba machine to the domain,
and now I can browse and use shares on the PDC just fine. However, when
I try to access or browse the NT fileservers I get
NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. What gives? Here is an example (the samba
machine is RUSTBUCKET, PDC is GROUPER, servers are XPCL and WIN2KCLIENT,
domain is TNG-PDC-TEST1):

[root at rustbucket linux-2.4]# smbclient -N -L grouper
Anonymous login successful

         Sharename      Type      Comment
         ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Anonymous login successful

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------
         GROUPER
         RUSTBUCKET           Samba 3.0.0rc1
         WIN2KCLIENT
         XPCL

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         TNG-PDC-TEST1        GROUPER

and then:

[root at rustbucket linux-2.4]# smbclient //grouper/ibmtools -U Administrator
Password:
smb: \>

So far so good. But...

[root at rustbucket linux-2.4]# smbclient -N -L win2kclient
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbaduid
[root at rustbucket linux-2.4]# smbclient -L win2kclient -U Administrator
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

and also:

[root at rustbucket linux-2.4]# smbclient //win2kclient/tng-share -U
Administrator
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

These shares are accessible from the windows machines in the domain just
fine. This is my very simple smb.conf file (trying not to get fancy just
yet):

[global]
    netbios name  = RUSTBUCKET
    workgroup     = TNG-PDC-TEST1
    domain master = no
    domain logons = no
    security = domain
    encrypt passwords = yes

I am a little new to this, and will appreciate greatly any help you may
be able to provide, or any tips as to what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks!

-Micha-