[Samba] Re: With sambaSamAccount, do I need an add user script and an add machinescript?

Nick Urbanik nicku at vtc.edu.hk
Tue Aug 19 22:42:10 GMT 2003

Hello,

Well, I had a look at the idealx scripts.  Looks pretty straight forward to update
them.  Boy, Jerry, one-person miracle worker, you look like you could use some
extra help!  I like your programming style in convertSambaAccount.

But: is the idea that samba should call them?  Is the idea that samba would call
(an updated) smbldap-useradd.pl to add a machine?  Or would samba do it itself some
other way?  I just want to understand the basic idea.

Another way of putting the same question: with ldapsam (using sambaSamAccount) as
backend, should smb.conf contain something like

add machine script = /path/to/updated-or-rewritten-idealix-script
?
Do I need an
add user script = /path/to/updated-or-rewritten-idealix-script
?
add user to group script?
delete user script?

I am confused (as noted below and elsewhere) since in man smb.conf, under "add
machine script",  it is written:

              This option is only required when using sam  back-ends  tied  to
              the  Unix  uid method of RID calculation such as smbpasswd.

So, is ldapsam tied to the Unix method of RID calculation?  I'm sorry, I don't
understand what that means.

--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE                               nicku(at)vtc.edu.hk
Dept. of Information & Communications Technology