[Samba] Samba 3.0 config option "domain controller = xxx"

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Aug 18 22:14:49 GMT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Joseph Phillips wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 15:00, John H Terpstra wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Joseph Phillips wrote:
> >
> > > A new option has appeared in the default smb.conf from samba 3.0.0 beta3.
> > >
> > > Here it is:
> > >
> > > # Use only if you have an NT server on your network that has been
> > > # configured at install time to be a primary domain controller.
> > >    domain controller = xxx
> >
> > Where did you get this from? What distribution? What platform? What is
> > your source?
>
> Hello.  I am using Red Hat Linux 9, on an Intel PC.
>
> My source is:
> http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/
>
> >From that source, I downloaded the following files:
>
> samba-3.0.0-3beta3.i386.rpm
> samba-client-3.0.0-3beta3.i386.rpm
> samba-common-3.0.0-3beta3.i386.rpm
> redhat-config-samba-1.0.8-1.noarch.rpm
>
> And then, as root, I executed the following command:  rpm -Uvh *.rpm
>
> All 4 of those RPM's installed without any errors being reported.  The
> above text that I referenced, is copied directly from the new smb.conf
> that was generated after the RPM upgrade.

Suggest you ask Red Hat. Sounds like a boo boo to me.

The official Samba-Team RPM is available from:

ftp://us1.samba.org/pub/samba/bin-pkgs/RedHat/RPMS/i386/9.0/

> Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
>

> > > My question is, what does this do exactly?  The old man pages for samba 2.x
> > > obviously don't include any reference to this new feature.  And on samba.org
> > > website, there are no new man pages for samba 3.0.
> >
> > And it does not exist. There is no such parameter today. As proof do:
> >
> > 	testparm -s -v | grep domain
> >
> > This will list all the parameters that involve the word "domain".

So, did you find the supported parameter? It could be there in the Red Hat
package. Platform vendors are free to add parameters as they wish. Some
do.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra