[Samba] Adding Windows servers to a Samba PDC network

PHELPS, SCOTT SPHELPS at ridgways.com
Tue Aug 19 20:25:03 GMT 2003

Williams
> Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 4:27 PM
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Adding Windows servers to a Samba PDC network
>
> Hi everyone.
>
> Just wanted to ask a question here.
>
> We are running RH 7.3 as our samba PDC. Everything is working great
and im
> really enjoying the setup.
>
> However, we need to add two Windows 2000 Adv. Servers to our Domain
> because
> of software that we run on this.
>
> I probably already know the answer, but I figured I would ask this
anyway.

> The default account on the Windows servers is administrator. I've
added an
> account to our Samba PDC called administrator.
>
> If i'm correct, all I should have to do is log into the Windows box,
and
> join the computer to my domain using the 'root' account, correct?

Correct.  You will then have access to the Domain Administrator object
of your Samba Domain.

Watch out for XP Pro though!  (see the last post this morning by me!)

> Only reason im asking this is because im trying to figure out how to
use
> the default Windows 'administrator' account correctly on our network.
> For instance, im not sure if anyone is familiar with the 'Run As'
feature
> in Windows 2000, but that is something I would like to be able to use
when
> I join my Windows 2000 client machines to the domain and the 'Run As'
> feature relies on the Windows 'administrator account.
>
> I appreciate everyone.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you can run an executable
as a Domain Administrator, you can only run it as the Local Admin.

-- Scott