[Samba] smbd won't run - Error message says port 139 in use

John M. Purser jmpurser at comcast.net
Sun Aug 17 22:08:04 GMT 2003

Samba was working well but I changed the host allow section of smb.conf and
it stopped.  I changed it back and restarted and got this error message in
log.smbd

[2003/08/17 12:15:26, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(789)
  bind failed on port 139 socket_addr = 0.0.0.0.
  Error = Address already in use

I have a really simple smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/08/17 11:50:06

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = JMPURSER.NET
	interfaces = eth0 192.168.1.40/24
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	os level = 65
	preferred master = True
	domain master = False
	hosts allow = 192.168.1.10

[test]
	comment = for testing only, please
	path = /home/samba/browse
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

I'm running samba on Debian woody.  Can anyone tell me what happened or give
some trouble shooting tips on how to figure out what's going on?

Thanks,

John Purser