[Samba] Error mounting Win2K share on Debian box

John M. Purser jmpurser at comcast.net
Sat Aug 16 18:38:31 GMT 2003

I'm working my through the "The Unofficial Samba HOWTO" but when I tried
this command:

mount -t smbfs -o username=fred,password=secret //192.168.1.1/"Perrin's
Documents" /mnt/smbmnt

I got this error:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.1.10/Perrin's
Documents, or too many mounted file systems

Here are the smb related lines from my kernel (2.4.20) .config file:
CONFIG_SMB_FS=y
CONFIG_SMB_NLS_DEFAULT=y
CONFIG_SMB_NLS_REMOTE="cp437"

I don't even have the cdrom mounted so I'm discounting the possibility of
too many mounte file systems.  What incredibly simple thing am I overlooking
this time?

Thanks,

John Purser