[Samba] Re: Samba vs. Windows : significant difference in timestamp handling ?

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Fri Aug 15 14:36:13 GMT 2003

>>> Not my experience. Even after doing the fake number
>>> the mtime remains unmodified, atime gets changed,
>>> of course, and, what was not quite to expect, so
>>> does the ctime.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
My above experience was made as DOMAIN\Administrator.
However, I tested it with several ordinary users and
by all of them only the access time is affected. The
ctime and mtime remain the same, as long as no change
is committed to the disk.

It is strange enough that Administrator's access
should also change the ctime but what you report about
mtime being changed is beyond the pale. I suspect ext3
is the problem. I heard some people losing all of
their data on ext3-formatted disks. Stay away from it.