[Samba] Netware CIFS nlm - linux samba

Glen Davison glen at maths.unsw.edu.au
Fri Aug 15 08:33:00 GMT 2003

Dear Gurus,

We're having bizarre problems/behaviour.  Admittedly we have an unusual
set-up:

 - users on linux desktops (RedHat/KDE) mounting files over SMB using
samba-2.2.5-10 -client and -common rpms.
 - files are on a SAN, clustered behind 2 netware servers (6.5), wihch run the
cifs.nlm (netware guy has gone home - can't tell you the version just now)

Files are spontaneously changing modification timestamps - anywhere between
about 1930 and 2040 (AD, not hours).  Or more likely *presenting* those
timestamps most of the time, though now and then the correct timestamp will
swim into view briefly.

example:
[glen at haiku glen]$ ls -l home/test333*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 glen     users           0 Aug 12 16:44 home/test3332
-rwxr-xr-x    1 glen     users          11 Aug 12 16:43 home/test3333

[glen at haiku glen]$ ls -l home/test3333
-rwxr-xr-x    1 glen     users          11 Sep  2  1992 home/test3333

[glen at haiku glen]$ ls -l home/test3332
-rwxr-xr-x    1 glen     users           0 Oct 26  1992 home/test3332

[home is the mount-point, or rather a symlink down thru the mount a little
way]

Most newly created files seem to have the problem straight away.  (But the
bulk of the files were rsync'd across from a Tru64 filesystem a month ago)

We have tried versions 2.2.8a and 3.0.0beta of smbclient / smbmount; 2.2.8a
was the same; 3.0.0 started with promising results, but it eventually did the
same timestamp trick (maybe less frequent??) but it also dies somehow after
about 30 mins and has to be remounted.

We believe we have narrowed this behaviour down to only linux samba clients
talking to the netware cifs nlm.

To add to the pot: we have also had a handful of files apparently change
filename spontaneously - so that they start with '..'  In most cases, they
started as .xyz and became ..xyz  The only processes which touched those
files should have been reads - no writes.  This may be a red herring - may
not be samba-related.

The timestamp issue is wide-spread, the filename problem is rare.

So, has anyone seen anything like this?  Can you explain what causes it?  And
is there a solution?

TIA
Glen

Glen Davison			glen at maths.unsw.edu.au
Computer System Administrator	phone: +61 2 9385 7018
Maths, UNSW			fax:   +61 2 9385 7192