[Samba] Printer driver problems - HELP!!!

Lahners, Jeremy jlahners at schemmer.com
Fri Aug 15 01:50:48 GMT 2003

I have a printer that requires each user to have the ability to modify
his/her defaults without administrator intervention.  This printer is a
Canon ImageRunner  5000.  Each user has the option of setting the
"Printing Preferences" to either print directly or to a mailbox on the
printer.  Up to this point (three weeks now), I have been unable to
accomplish this simple task.  For all other printers, most options in
the printer driver settings are grayed out as only the print admins have
the ability to modify those settings.  However, this one has to be
enabled for all.  I tried paying with "Use client driver = Yes/No" to no
avail.  When set to "No" the client is unable to modify preferences.
When set to "Yes" the client can attempt to modify (i.e. they're not
grayed out) but gets a generic Windows error when he/she clicks close or
apply.  This only seems to occur on WinNT 4 workstations.

Any help would be very appreciated...

Here is the snippet from my smb.conf file.  No logs errors are generated
at the default levels, if necessary I can turn them up.

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = SCHEMMER
        server string = File Server
        security = domain
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        preferred master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = quicksilver.schemmer.com
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        printer admin = SCHEMMER\jlahners, "@SCHEMMER\Domain Admins"
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        load printers = Yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes

[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[I5000]
        comment = Canon ImageRunner 5000 Copier/Printer
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
#       use client driver = Yes