[Samba] Ref: Samba + Cups: don't succeed to print from Windows 2000 station

nadine.vandois at bull.net nadine.vandois at bull.net
Thu Aug 14 13:32:25 GMT 2003

Dragan,

I took into account your answer.

I installed and recompiled samba 2.2.8a.

I didn't load glibc2 (which is not delivered with the Suse distribution),
but all seems to be OK.

I then tried rpcclient with: enumdrivers, getdriver.It works fine now.

But I still have problems when asking to print from a windows station.
The window station find the printer, but when I ask to print a document or
the test page,I get:

Impossible to print: problem of configuration of printer.
Try ..............
and:
Test page could not be printed. Do you want .....

On my Linux server, I can print from the samba guest user:
cups_samba_entry.

Do you think it is a problem with cups or with samba ?
What can I do or test ?

Please find hereafter:
smb.conf,

(See attached file: smb.conf)

Regards,
Nadine

---------------------- Réacheminé par Nadine Vandois/FR/BULL sur 14/08/2003
14:40 ---------------------------

"Dragan Krnic" <dkrnic at lycos.com> sur 11/08/2003 20:45:43

Veuillez répondre à dkrnic at lycos.com

Pour : nadine.vandois at bull.net
cc :   samba at lists.samba.org
Objet :     Re: Samba + Cups: don't succeed to print from Windows 2000
       station

>My samba version (on Suse distribution) is 2.2.7a-58.
>Can and must I a also this patch on this version
>and/or must I load samba 2.2.8 with the patch ?

SuSE 8.2, I presume. You should really get 2.2.8a
sources compressed with bzip2. Look for the files
samba-2.2.8a.tar.bz2 and samba-vscan-0.3.2a.tar.bz2
at a samba mirror).

Enclosed is a small bzip2-compressed tarball with the
other things that SuSE uses to build samba as an RPM,
but including the patch for bugs #52, #82 and #102.
All of them are checked in 3.0betas but not yet
consolidated in a new 2.x release (perhaps there will
be no more 2.x releases).

You should put both samba sources in the directory
"/usr/src/packages/SOURCES" and unpack my tarball there
with "bzip2 -d < samba.deps.tbz2 | tar xvf -" and then
execute:

   rpm -bb samba.spec 2>&1 | tee /tmp/228a.build

while still in that directory (the T-joint is so that
you may have a log of what happened in case anything
goes wrong so someone can have a look at it and tell
you what). The following suite of installable RPM
packages will then be created in
/usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386 directory, which you may
use to install patched samba properly with the command
"rpm -Uhv libsmbclient* samba*":

libsmbclient-2.2.8a-4.i386.rpm
libsmbclient-devel-2.2.8a-4.i386.rpm
samba-2.2.8a-4.i386.rpm
samba-client-2.2.8a-4.i386.rpm
samba-doc-2.2.8a-4.i386.rpm
samba-vscan-0.3.2a-0.i386.rpm

Building samba means you need to have the gcc compiler
and various devel libraries installed on your computer
(they can be found on your distro's media), but when
all is in place you only need patience. It takes a
while (20'25" on my PC).

The libraries needed:

ncurses-devel, readline-devel, security, libacl-devel,
libattr-devel, popt-devel, cups-devel, openssl,
openssl-devel, pam-devel, openldap2-devel, gdbm,
gdbm-devel, glibc-devel, glibc2-devel, glib-devel

This might look like an overkill and perhaps it is.
If someone knows better, please correct me. I haven't
seen a manifest of required libraries anywhere but
many people (including me) fail to build samba because
one or other library is missing and it's not very
obvious which one.

Good luck, Nadine.