[Samba] nmbd - network hang problem

sototh sototh at poczta.fm
Thu Aug 14 09:07:10 GMT 2003

Hello!

I'm trying to run samba on slackware 9 server. Unfortunately I have
reached a problem with network hangup when I run nmbd - only on this
server, rest of local network is working ok. Server stops to answer for
pings, ssh connection hangs.

According to ethereal speech I've realized that things happend when
server is reaching samba packets (BROWSER i.e) from other computers
(Windows driven). Network hangs for a few minutes and after this
everything is working fine - until it reaches next samba packet.

Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
     workgroup = WGK
     netbios name = HQ1
     server string = Samba server
     interfaces = eth0
     log level = 3

I've no idea what happends... I've stopped all other network services on
this server - just samba and sshd is running. System is over 95% idle
(it isn't overloaded for sure).

I'm using samba 2.2.8a (I've tried 2.2.8 also) and 2.4.20-wolk4.6s
kernel (2.4.21 vanilla + grsecurity before - with no difference). There
are less then 30 computers in local network. Without nmbd running
everything is OK.

Please help me - it makes me more and more crazy...

greetings

Sototh