[Samba] automating smbclient tasks

Gareth gareth at bim7.com
Wed Aug 13 20:41:03 GMT 2003

Hi Vasiliy

I did something similar using Expect (http://expect.nist.gov/)

It's pretty easy to automate interactive applications where you can't use
shell scripts. I have used it for auotmating ftp transfers between servers
overnight.

-----------------------------------

#! /usr/local/bin/expect -f

log_user 0

# time out setting (in seconds, -1 for never time out)
set timeout -1

# directory to tar
set tar_path "/usr3"
set tar_dir "V4release"
set tar_name "V4release.tar"
set tar_temp "/usr2/tmp"

# ftp server details
set ftp_host "jupiter.galaxy"
set ftp_user "downloads"
set ftp_pass ""

send_user
"=====================================================================
===========\n\n"

# make the tarball, pass z to gzip the archive
send_user "Making the tarball $tar_name, from $tar_path/$tar_dir\n"
exec tar cvf $tar_temp/$tar_name $tar_path/$tar_dir

# make the ftp connection
send_user "Attempting to connect to $ftp_host\n"
spawn ftp $ftp_host

expect -nocase "name"
send $ftp_user\r

expect -nocase "password"
send $ftp_pass\r

expect -nocase "transfer files"
send_user "User '$ftp_user' logged in to $ftp_host\n"
send "lcd $tar_temp\r"

expect -nocase "directory"
send "send $tar_name\r"

expect -nocase "complete"
send_user "Transfer of $tar_name complete\n\nClosing connection.\n"
send "exit\r"

send_user

exit

Sorry to post all that to the list, and sorry again if the coding is crappy;
but hey, it works :-)

Good luck

Gareth