[Samba] Samba and Tablet PC

Jim Zurcher jim.zurcher at zurcherj.com
Wed Aug 13 17:47:09 GMT 2003

Hi folks,

I have a Samba server 2.2.8 on Suse 8.2 and normally use various win98-w2k
machines logged on to a domain with Samba as the PDC.  I have also gotten a
WinXP pro machine to successfully log on but no longer use that machine so I
do not know whether it had any service packs installed.  I recently
purchased a tablet PC which appears to be running a variant of XP-Pro.  I
have not been able to join the domain as it looks for a service entry of
_ldap....msdcs.<domain> and gives an error that there is no PDC in the DNS.
I assume that this is telling me that it wants an ldap server, which is
unfortunate because I don't have one - I still use smbpasswd authentication.
When I looked at the Microsoft site for XP-Pro they indicated that if ldap
fails it looks for Netbios.  I believe that I have this set up properly (and
certainly all the other windows machines log on okay) but the tablet does
not seem to use this.  So before I spend a lot of time troubleshooting the
tablet and why it is not using netbios I thought I would canvass this group
at a very high level first.

So my questions are:
1) has anyone gotten a tablet PC to work with netbios and Samba 2.2.8 or is
ldap needed?
2) if the answer to 1 is to use ldap, is it better to add ldap to 2.2.8, go
to Samba3 beta 3, or wait for the production version of Samba 3  (i.e. how
difficult is it to set up 2.2.8 for ldap and how difficult is the conversion
to 3 later)

Thanks in advance

Jim