[Samba] Beginners query

Shantanu Basu shantanu at ncac.gwu.edu
Wed Aug 13 17:24:39 GMT 2003

Hi,

I am a complete novice to this world.
We are trying to figure out what sort of functionality Samba can give
us in merging Unix and Windows (98, 2000, XP)machines onto one file
server. The windows machines are to mount the shared directory from
the server and see it like it is its own disk, roaming user prifles
need to be configured on Samba such that anyone at any PC can use his
own settings and use his computer sitting on the table in his office.

Basically I am trying to find out what functionality resides in Samba
v3.0 to configure theseoptions for Windows machines. Where can I find
documentation/help for this sort of thing.

I realise I am an amateur and this may be a basic question but please
bear with me.

Thanks.
Shantanu Basu.
FHWA/NHTSA National Crash Analysis Center
The George Washington University