[Samba] VC compile errrors on samba share, Win2K, after sp4

johnh at tonto.Stanford.EDU johnh at tonto.Stanford.EDU
Wed Aug 13 16:12:15 GMT 2003

After I recently updated a win2k machine to service pack 4, I started
getting strange compile errors in Visual C version 6.0, when compiling
source files stored on a samba (2.2.8, linux 2.4).

fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
 (compiler file 'E:\8966\vc98\p2\src\P2\p2symtab.c',  line 932)
    Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
    Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file  for more information
Error executing cl.exe.

These are similar to what has been reported recently on a microsoft
specific newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=vc+samba+sp4&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=a14701c35c4b%24a24ec640%24a001280a%40phx.gbl&rnum=4

There is a rather interesting response from someone at microsoft:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=umBJLvIYDHA.2632%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl

that says they are unlikely to fix it, and by the way please do not use
network shares to hold your sources!

I am guessing that there is some error in the handling of the precompiled
headers (.pch files), because if I remove one header include file line
from the source it will compile fine -- once.  Then if I add back the line
it will compile fine again -- once.

Does anyone know of a patch  I can apply to samba that will address this
error?

Thanks,

John