[Samba] Password change problems

luiz at pucrs.br luiz at pucrs.br
Wed Aug 13 13:20:39 GMT 2003

Dear Sir

I´m terribly confused about one problem in our environment. We have one
NIS+SAMBA environment, running in E450 with Solaris 7. Apparently, after
one system patch application, the password change is not working. Please
look this:

1) In the server, with root account:

# passwd user_test
New password:
Re-enter new password:
NIS passwd/attributes changed on server
passwd (SYSTEM): Password database busy. Try again later.
Permission denied
#
# su - user_test
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.7       Generic October 1998
You have mail.
> id
uid=9718(user_test) gid=118(users)
> passwd
passwd:  Changing password for another_user
passwd (NIS): Permission denied
Permission denied

Well, 'another_user' is the user that I was used to log in the server. If I
try:

# passwd another_user
New password:
Re-enter new password:
NIS passwd/attributes changed on toledo
passwd (SYSTEM): Password database busy. Try again later.
Permission denied
#

The error is the same, but the password IS CHANGED!

2) In one Win2k station:

Using <CTRL>+<ALT>+<DEL> and "Change password...", occurs one error "The
user name or old password is incorrect". However, the NIS password is
changed, but not the SAMBA password.

3) In one Linux client:

user_test at station ~/home]$ passwd
Changing password for user_test
(current) UNIX password:
New password:
Retype new password:
RPC: Server can't decode arguments
The password has not been changed on toledo.
passwd: Failed preliminary check by password service
[user_test at station ~/homelinux]$

In the server logs, the only message when the problem happens is that:

passwd[12210]: pam_chauthtok: error Unknown error

and in the Linux workstation log, is the following:

passwd(pam_unix)[27862]: password not changed for user_test on server

In the SAMBA logs, there aren´t anything.

Can anyone help me with this?
These are the patches that I was applied:

106541-25
106942-27
106948-02
106949-03
106950-23 --> RPC Patch
106980-23
106987-06
107081-53
107115-13
107171-13
107187-07
107403-03
107475-05
107589-13
107636-10
107702-12
107709-21
107716-24
107743-14
108263-10
108451-07
109797-03
110646-05
113752-02

My SAMBA global section is:

[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        netbios name = SERVER
        server string = Server
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 1
        syslog = 0
        max log size = 60000
        large readwrite = Yes
        time server = Yes
        unix extensions = Yes
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096
SO_RCVBUF=4096
        domain admin group = @admin
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c "Workstation" -d /dev/null
-g 150 -s /bin/false %u
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
        logon script = login.bat
        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
        logon drive = i:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 34
        domain master = True
        wins server = 10.40.48.25
        kernel oplocks = No
        utmp = Yes
        host msdfs = Yes
        winbind uid = 50000-60000
        winbind gid = 50000-60000
        winbind enum users = No
        winbind enum groups = No
        create mask = 0755

Thank you very much for any help or suggestion.