[Samba] password restriction not working in 3.0.0beta2

michael cardenas mbc at lindows.com
Tue Aug 12 20:44:53 GMT 2003

Hello everyone,

I'm working on our transition to Samba 3. We're using beta 2 from
debian for now in LindowsOS.

I've encountered what I think is a bug based on the fact that the
documentation claims that samba 3 is fuly backwards compatible with
samba 2.

The attached smb.conf file was generated by our file sharing kde
interface, and according the the smb.conf man page in the samba 3
package, i think it should work. The share "music" should not be
public, and should require a password, but I am able to connect to it
using another samba 3 client without ever being prompted for a password.
Looking at the logs, it seems that PAM authentication is authorizing the
user.

The log is attached as well. The two files are in a tarball.

Thank you,

michael

--
michael cardenas       | GNU/Linux software developer
hyperpoem.net          | lead software engineer, lindows.com