[Samba] Plea for Help with Slow Roaming Profiles

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Tue Aug 12 14:47:11 GMT 2003

Thus spake Christoph (christoph at scheeder.de) [12/08/03 02:55]:
> pretty simple explanation:
> your profile is getting bloated with everything in your personal folder.
> under XP go to C:\Documents and Settings\<your username> and look
> around.
> each and every bit in this dir gets synced to your profileserver on
> logout. Same thing for 98/nt/me, only different places of the local
> profile storage
> minimize the contents there in and your logout gets times faster.

Hi.

I don't know if you've read my posts, or the logs we've posted, but I am 99%
positive that this is *not* the case.

I can watch the logs, and on loglevel 2, the machine opens the shares, does
*nothing* for ten minutes, closes the share, opens the shares again, loads
the profiles in a matter of seconds, and then logs me in.  Higher logleves
show that for the duration of those ten minutes, the machine seems to be in
some sort of a loop.  This line comes up a fair bit:

    setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0

Looking back through the archives, you can see my much higher loglevel posts
here:

    http://www.sentex.net/~damian/logon.log

These profiles are fresh and clean -- we're talking 2MB, tops.  And on a
100Mb LAN, we should be able to maintain profiles of 10MB without too much
difficulty.

I *know* that a bloated profiles causes problems, but I really, *really*
don't think that's the issue here.  However, I'm willing to post anything
and do anything to help narrow the problem down.