[Samba] Copy large files to samba share

Patrick Petermair usenet at petermair.at
Tue Aug 12 10:37:47 GMT 2003

Hi!

I have several linux boxes, that need to be backed up. I wrote a small
script for this task that simply creates a .tar.gz file with alle the
important stuff in it.
The tape drive is connected to a windows box, so the script also mounts a
windows share and copies the .tar.gz file. Unfortunately I get errors from
time to time when the script copies large files (>200 MB). Small files
(<100 MB) are copied without a problem.

This is the output I get back from cron:

cp: writing `/mnt/heribert/2003-07-28.FULL.galileo.tar.gz': Input/output
error

I also checked the syslog for the specific time, the copy took place:

Aug 11 19:11:36 galileo kernel: smb_get_length: recv error = 5
Aug 11 19:11:36 galileo kernel: smb_request: result -5, setting invalid
Aug 11 19:11:36 galileo kernel: smb_writepage_sync: failed write,
wsize=4096, result=-5
Aug 11 19:11:36 galileo kernel: smb_retry: successful, new pid=19729,
generation=2

Any chance, that the firewall could be the problem (the linux box stands
in the dmz and the windows backup server in the internal lan)? For test
purposes I opened all ports between those two machines...no effect.

Any help would be great.
Thnx,
Patrick