[Samba] Samba, Winbind, Linux

Study List studylist at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 17:41:58 GMT 2003

Ok, after working on this I turn to this mailing list for help.

I have a Redhat linux system which I have compliled samba-2.2.8a-1.i386 on.
I want to authenticate a share on a linux server with a windows 2000 domain
controller(mixed mode).  Samba alone works fine authenticating against
smbpasswd.  I compiled samba with: --with-pam, --with-winbind,
--with-winbind-auth-challenge. Configure, make, and make install go fine.  I
copy the libs over, add 3 lines to my /etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd: files winbind
shadow: files
group:  files winbind

I start smbd, successfully join the domin, start nmbd and winbind and all is
fine.  I run wbinfo -u, wbinfo -g, wbinfo -a domainname\\user%pass and all
comes out fine.

So far so good. Now, I have a share setup in my smb.conf which I try to
connect to from my Windows XP PC and it prompts me for a username and
password, hmm this is not what I wanted, enter the information in as
domainnam\username and password in the 2nd box. It does not work.

Here is my smb.conf file modified from its original state to hopefully work
with winbind:

[global]
        winbind cache time = 10
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind use default domain = yes
        workgroup = domainname
        name resolve order = hosts bcast wins lmhosts
        security = domain
        password server = domaincontroller1
        encrypt passwords = yes

[backup]
   comment = backup
   path = /home/backup
   browseable = yes
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   valid users = myusername

I even tried wbinfo -A but that seemed to not work either.

Any comments, suggestions, or flames are welcome.

Thanks