[Samba] possible problem adding machine accounts using smbpasswd/pdbedit in samba3.0b3?

Andre Kerstens kerstens at scripps.edu
Fri Aug 8 23:21:47 GMT 2003

Hi,

I get the following error message when I try to add a machine account to
  my LDAP database using the pdbedit utility. I am using Samba 3.0
beta3. The dn 'ou=computers,dc=scripps,dc=edu' exists.

[root at mymachine samba]# pdbedit -a -m -u testmachine
Searching for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=LCCB))]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=LCCB))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
Searching for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=LCCB))]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=LCCB))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(uid=testmachine$)(objectclass=sambaSamAccount))]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching for:[(uid=testmachine$)]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(sambaSID=S-0-0)(|(objectClass=sambaIdmapEntry)(objectClass=sambaSidEntry)))]
Setting entry for user: testmachine$
failed to add user dn= uid=testmachine$,ou=computers,dc=scripps,dc=edu
with: Object class violation
         object class 'sambaSamAccount' requires attribute 'sambaSID'
failed to modify/add user with uid = testmachine$ (dn =
uid=testmachine$,ou=computers,dc=scripps,dc=edu)
Unable to add machine! (does it already exist?)
[root at mymachine samba]#

After adding the testmachine$ entry in LDAP (in the ou=computers branch)
using ldapadd (account, posicAccount, top, shadowAccount) and using
smbpasswd -a -m testmachine afterwards, it worked (I could leave the
schema as is).

This behaviour has also been detected by other people on the list. Can
somebody confirm this sambaSID issue is a bug in pdbedit/smbpasswd?

Thanks

Andre