[Samba] PDC Functions

Mike Miller temp6453 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 14:41:42 GMT 2003

What I'm attempting to do is get services for unix working on a win2k box,
running off of a samba PDC.   I am having great difficulty doing so.  I have
added a trust relationship and added the 2k server into the domain.  I then
try and change ownership to anyone in the domain without luck.  It always
gives me that the Sid Lookup Failed.  Microsoft said the following and
basically told me to use an NT/2k PDC.  I completely trust the machine in
every way, so I'm not too worried about security of the machine, however I
want it to work on these RPC calls to get the SIDs.  For some reason, it
doesn't seem to be giving me any SIDs.  Any ideas?

--- START M$ ANSWER ---
No. The NFS server running on your file server will need the mapped domain
user's SID in order to impersonate him while accessing files. The DC will
not give out that SID unless the NFS subauthentication DLL (aka Server for
NFS Authentication) is installed on it.

In other words, you will have to migrate the DC first, and install Server
for NFS Auth on it if you need to use mapped domain users...Further, the DC
should be running pre-Win2k compat mode if the mapping server (running as
local service on a member server) is to be able to get the list of users.
--- END M$ ANSWER ---

-Mike