[Samba] From NT4-PDC to Samba-PDC: 2.2.7a or 3.0.0-beta-x?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri Aug 8 13:23:25 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have one NT4 PDC that needs to be migrated to Samba-PDC. No Active Directory.
Just users, groups, windows shares... the works.

I'm seeing that Samba-3.x is "very PDC-oriented". I like that. But, so far,
Samba-3 is still in beta/pre-release versions and in my "stock" distribution,
Samba is on 2.2.7a version (2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix).

Should I wait for Samba-3?

Should I go with the current Samba-2.2.7a and then migrate when official
packages are available for my distribution (MDK)?

Should I go for "jsurt Samba"? Or should I go for Samba+LDAP? (pros/cons?)

Is there anything special to have in mind when migrating existing users from
NT4 to Samba?

So far, I've collected those intetresting links:

http://www.pmmf.hu/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/samba-pdc-howto.html
http://us3.samba.org/samba/devel/docs/html/NT4Migration.html
http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/Samba-PDC-HOWTO.html
http://www.coruscant.demon.co.uk/mike/samba/PDC_migration_HOWTO.txt
http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/samba-ldap-howto.pdf
http://www.pmmf.hu/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/samba-pdc-howto.html
http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/index.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/index.html
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/muo/connect/csamba6.html
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/samba-ldap.html
http://www.coruscant.demon.co.uk/mike/samba/PDC_migration_HOWTO.txt
http://us3.samba.org/samba/devel/docs/html/SWAT.html

Is there any other link or piece of documentation that I have overlooked?

Any other advice for this migration?

Thanks in advance.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/
Linux User # 89976     Linux Machine # 38068