[Samba] Samba 2.2.8a file permissions not working

Errol Neal errol.neal at enhtech.com
Thu Aug 7 20:46:40 GMT 2003

>>Or our two UNIX file servers, one is Solaris 8 and the other RedHat
>>Linux 7.3.  Samba was compiled as follows:
>>
>>configure --prefix=/opt/samba --with-acl-support --with-quotas
>>
>>Right now it doesn't looks like changing file/folder permissions are
>>working from W2K.  When we right click on a file/folder and go to the
>>security tab it show the current file permissions fine.  But when you
>>try to change them it is being ignored.  No error messages are being
>>shown.  No matter what we do no changes are happening on the UNIX side.
>>   This occurs on the Linux file server too.
>>This did work in 2.2.7a and compiled the same way as above.
>>Is there something different in 2.2.8a, or is this a bug????

In order to use '--with-acl-support', your kernel needs to have
acl-support, and that is dependant upon the file system you are running.
Red Hat 9 does not have ACL support in the default kerner NOR do Red  Hat's
modified kernels up to 2.4.21, so my guess is your RH 7.3
does not have ACL support either.

Errol

Errol Neal, Systems/Network Administrator
eneal at enhtech.com
Enhanced Technologies Inc.
http://www.enhtech.com
703-924-0301 or 800-368-3249