[Samba] Samba's Performance and reliability question

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Aug 6 21:09:12 GMT 2003

Hello everyone.

I am about to rollout a samba PDC running 2.2.8a with LDAP on the backend
to hold user accounts and passwords.

I just wanted to ask a few questions about performance and stability.

My network is around 40 users at this time, and will most likely jump to
about 80 by the end of the year. The server I set the PDC on is a Xeon
2.8ghz with 2gigs RAM and 3 hot-swapable SCSI 320 drives configured in a
RAID 5 array. I have about 70 gigs of space to work with.

Besides doing authentication for my users, the PDC will also host a
directory that users will access on a daily basis.

With that in mind, I wanted to get some feedback about the expectations I
may expect as well as any potential dowfalls.
Also, what else can I do to increae performance, stability and security?

I appreciate everyones input and help.

Cheers,

Jason