[Samba] Re: Finally winbind on RH9 working, but why ?

jo at neolabs.be jo at neolabs.be
Wed Aug 6 12:37:34 GMT 2003

I have some new information on getent group not showing the groups
in samba 2.2.8a on Redhat 9.

in the client log on teh samba PDC I get

[2003/08/06 09:47:47, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_open_group(2766)
  _samr_open_group: Not yet implemented.
[2003/08/06 09:47:47, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_open_group(2766)
  _samr_open_group: Not yet implemented.

every time I do 'getent group'

I looked up the code in the source and guess what, it's :

/*********************************************************************
 _samr_open_group
*********************************************************************/

NTSTATUS _samr_open_group(pipes_struct *p, SAMR_Q_OPEN_GROUP *q_u,
SAMR_R_OPEN_GROUP *r_u)
{
 	DEBUG(0,("_samr_open_group: Not yet implemented.\n"));
	return NT_STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED;
}

so it makes sense...

HOWEVER there are numerous people for who 'getent group' apparently
DOES work, so I have no idea why this call is in fact executed in
my case. Probable he takes a wrong turn somewhere????

I am trying to trace back the call to find that wrong turn, but if
anyone can give me a hint here please do, it's a big ...

Jo De Baer

Maybe I'll rephrase it shorter :

1) eventhough 'wbinfo -g' gives me the correct groups, they do nots how
up when I go 'getent group'. Can it be the spaces in the Samba groups
'Domain Admins' and 'Domain Users'? Where is the information about these
groups stored on the Samba pdc?

2) I only get winbind to do it's job (which is connecting to a local
share on the domain member with a winbind user) when I
a) set the parameter 'winbind cache timeout = 0'
OR
b) create the user locally on the domain member, which is of course
what we try to avoid by using winbind...

any idea's why playing with the cache timeout causes a difference?

Thanks in advance...

the full story is below but I guess it's to long for anyone to read
*grin*